Panini America Offers Inkling of Autographs to Come in 2014-15 Preferred Basketball

June 18, 2015

Panini America 2014-15 Preferred Basketball Autographs (1)

While the confetti’s still wafting from the rafters of Golden State’s riveting 2015 NBA Finals triumph over the Cleveland Cavaliers, the hobby fortunes of Warriors stars such as Stephen Curry, Andre Iguodala, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes remain on a major ascent. And that scenario has created an opportunity for the unthinkable: 2014-15 Preferred Basketball — releasing next Wednesday and already sold out — just got a whole lot hotter.

Indeed, 2014-15 Preferred Basketball is packed with collection-completing content featuring the leading men of the NBA’s newest champions. You saw much of that in our must-see booklet preview gallery earlier this week. Today, we’re going to show you some of Golden State’s golden graphs.

While we’re at it, though, we’re also going to show you the filthy-rich autograph content from across an impressive Preferred checklist that features the game’s hottest rookies, stars and legends. It’s worth noting that the Anthony Davis autographs you’ll see below arrived a little too late to make packout — but they’re in-house now and ready to be redeemed.

Enjoy the gallery that follows and stay tuned to The Knight’s Lance for continued coverage of 2014-15 Preferred Basketball.

1. June 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Just once, I would like to pull a patch silhouette from basketball. Maybe someday.

• Texasjoe permalink
      June 18, 2015 6:31 pm

That was my wish too. Then I finally pulled one last year! Yay!!!! Then I saw it. Kelly olynyk… 😐

2. June 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Those look great! Thanks for giving the product a facelift.

3. Naqa23 permalink
    June 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Same names over and over again. Would love for Panini to get some new guys to sign.

• Andy permalink
      June 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Agreed completely!

Part of the problem is that every single rookie basically has thousands and thousands of autographs their rookie year, so the market is already saturated. Panini knows this so they started hitting the old timers up and now they have essentially common-ized autographs from guys like Magic Johnson, Grant Hill, Hakeem Olajuwon, Isaiah Thomas and such.

It has no chance of ending until autographs go back to being tough pulls and not common cards.

Basically the basketball card market is shot. Other sports have a wider variety of stars so they have more options. Basketball unless it’s a rookie it’s the same core of like 25 guys repeated over and over and over and over and over.

• June 18, 2015 3:13 pm

While I can certainly appreciate your perspective, the basketball card market is anything “but shot.” Our most successful products of the season have been our basketball releases. Obviously, this is a rookie-driven market and the hotter the rookie crop each season, the better that season’s products will do. Having said that, our product development and acquisitions teams continue to pursue those players who rarely, if ever, sign. Thanks to an abundance of passion and creativity, we’ll continue striving to produce the best products possible.

Ultimately, collectors let us know how we’re doing and where we need to improve. And that is appreciated.

• June 18, 2015 10:39 pm

I’ve been selling sports cards for over 30 years and from my perspective and that of my customers the basketball card market has never been better. Panini America has produced products with innovative designs and outstanding content, and my customers have responded. My best selling product this year has been 2014-15 Select Basketball. My in-store customers have bought nearly 600 boxes of 2014-15 Select Basketball.

I believe your concern is the resale value of autographed star cards and rookie cards. The problem you are referring to is one of supply and demand of single cards on the secondary market. This hobby needs more collectors who purchase cards to add to their personal collection. Too many hobbyist are willing to let cards go at auction for whatever and look for something to blame for their disappointment. If you believe single card values are selling too low, now is the time to be a buyer, not a seller. The motto of the smart investor is “Buy low, sell high.”

I see new collectors come into my store every week. I believe the hobby is growing at a steady but slow pace. As those new collectors develop their buying preferences, demand for autographed star and rookie cards will increase. Be patient when selling your cards. Don’t sell them too low. If you can’t get the price you want for a card, trade it for something you want.

• Andy permalink
      June 18, 2015 6:25 pm

I appreciate that you continue to pursue players that rarely sign, but the problem is that once you get that player you not only get it, but you exploit. Look at Karl Malone.

• Texasjoe permalink
      June 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Yes! Like Tim Duncan!!! And what happened to Kawhi? What happened to the Kawhi autographs??? They just stopped coming in 14-15 products.

4. benijambalaya permalink
    June 18, 2015 2:17 pm

show us the alex english, fat levers 🙂

5. hegz permalink
    June 18, 2015 2:18 pm

Some nice autos, all on card too.
    Hoping to get my hands on a box when they drop.
    Are the booklets all mems or are there some autographed booklets too?

6. Jeff permalink
    June 18, 2015 2:31 pm

beautiful. Favorite Panini product. Keep it up.

7. Nick Gauder permalink
    June 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Preferred looks better than ever! I love the new design on the Crown Royale cards, and I’m so glad u guys changed it! I’m going to buy even more boxes than I usually do now. I’d do anything to be lucky enough to pull that Andrew Wiggins Silhouette card! Great job Panini

8. The Card Investor permalink
    June 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Lots of good improvements to this year’s product. I love the redesigned look of Panini Signatures and the choice to recenter the silhouettes so that the die cut player is in the middle. The booklet themes look really good too!

9. June 18, 2015 11:41 pm

wow! love the designs!!

10. harynjk permalink
    June 19, 2015 1:03 am

Ohhh that Avery Johnson card is beautiful.

11. June 19, 2015 3:57 am

I’m not in the the least bit bothered about booklet cards…but I do love a good on-card autograph card and this release has some designs that are right up my street!

Combine that with what looks like a good picture of rookies, all-stars and legends, my biggest challenge is going to be deciding what I will be chasing.

Tracey – can you you go over and shake the hand of the designer of the Spalding die-cut cards for me. THAT is a superbly put together card! 🙂

12. June 19, 2015 5:52 am

What an abundance of on-card ink, really digging some of the new designs and variety in the upcoming product. Thanks Tracy!

1. Panini America Offers a Special Father’s Day Glimpse at 2014-15 Preferred Basketball | The Official Panini America Blog
  2. Zeke Seeker » Blog Archive » A Preferred Preview