Panini America Provides Detailed First Look at 2016 Absolute Football (Preview)
It’s safe to say that 2015 was something of an unorthodox year for longtime Panini America NFL brands Donruss Elite and Absolute. Both popular products were temporarily sidelined last season in a move that had many collectors wondering if they would ever return again.
But this week’s release of the new-and-improved 2016 Donruss Elite Football served resounding notice that sometimes a year away — giving product developers time to properly revive and rejuvenate a brand — can be just the right approach. In early September, Panini America will follow a similar path with the triumphant return of 2016 Absolute Football.
A traditional collector favorite, Absolute Football returns from a one-year hiatus this fall with new twists, a new configuration and the addition of Glass cards (think 2015-16 Absolute Basketball). Of course, Absolute Football’s proud stable of defining inserts returns to the mix, too.
On average, each hobby box of 2016 Absolute Football (five cards per pack, three packs per box, 10 boxes per case) will deliver five autograph or memorabilia hits (including one Rookie Premiere Materials triple-memorabilia autograph card, two additional autographs, one multi-piece memorabilia card and one additional memorabilia card).
The highlights of the product are many and include . . .
- Tools of the Trade cards featuring up to five pieces of memorabilia. Find Tools of the Trade Materials Double (numbered to 99 or less), Triple (numbered to 99 or less), Quad (numbered to 25 or less) and Five (numbered to five or less). Featured materials include jerseys, shoes, helmets, footballs, gloves and pants.
- Look for Absolute’s cornerstone Rookie Materials Autographs (numbered to 499 or less), Rookie Materials Autographs Quad (numbered to 15 or less) and Rookie Premiere Materials Autographs Five (numbered to five or less).
- The return of other popular Absolute staples such as Ground Hoggs Materials, Absolute Ink, Marks of Fame, Team Quads, Leather & Laces, Hall of Fame Jersey Autographs, Glass cards and more.
- The ever-popular Leather & Laces insert returns featuring some of the NFL’s biggest stars (numbered to 99 or less).
- Numbered to 99 or less, the Hall of Fame Jersey Autographs insert features retired legends on collection-making autograph memorabilia cards.
- The legend-filled Iconic Ink insert (numbered to 199 or less) also features Duals (numbered to 50 or less), Triples (numbered to 50 or less) and Quads (numbered to 10 or less).
- Headlined by Peyton Manning, the Marks of Fame Autographs insert delivers Gold (numbered to 10 or less), Black (numbered to only one) and Numbers (numbered to the featured player’s jersey number) parallel versions.
- A metalized 100-card base set featuring Legend and Rookie subsets numbered to 499.
- Hobby-exclusive die-cut versions of key inserts such as Rookie Roundup, Unsung Heroes, Red Zone, Xtreme Team and Quads.
- An all-new configuration with three five-card packs per box (an increase of five cards per box over the 2014 configuration).
We’ll have plenty more on 2016 Absolute Football in the coming weeks right here on The Knight’s Lance. Until then, enjoy this first sneak peek:
All information is accurate at the time of posting – content is subject to change and approval. Card images are solely for the purpose of design display. Actual images used on cards to be determined.