Eight years. That's how long it's been since Panini America's Studio Basketball brand last appeared in the marketplace. But the passage of time has done nothing to diminish the feel-good vibes most collectors get when they think of the longtime trading card fixture. And that's a good thing considering Panini America is returning Studio Basketball to the hardwood in late May.
Eight years. That’s how long it’s been since Panini America’s Studio Basketball brand last appeared in the marketplace. But the passage of time has done nothing to diminish the feel-good vibes most collectors get when they think of the longtime trading card fixture. And that’s a good thing considering Panini America is returning Studio Basketball to the hardwood in late May.
2016-17 Studio Basketball is set to arrive in hobby shops across North America on May 31 with a tiered 300-card base set with card #’s 1-100 featuring action photography, card #’s 101-200 (Studio Edition) featuring portrait-style photography and card #’s 201-300 (Sketch) featuring sketch-art imagery. Each tier grows increasingly tougher to pull with Studio Edition falling approximately 15 per box and Sketch falling roughly one per box.
On average, each hobby box of 2016-17 Studio Basketball (six cards per pack, 10 packs per box, eight boxes per inner case, two inner cases per master case) will deliver one autograph and one memorabilia card. The highlights of 2016-17 Studio Basketball are many and include . . .
- The ultra-rare From Downtown! insert that features original artwork; seeded one per inner case on average.
- The 15-card Celebrated Signatures insert showcases the top talent in the game mixed with all-time NBA greats such as Shaquille O’Neal, Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
- Studio Signatures offers a tip of the cap to the classic designs found in the 1990s Studio releases.
- Breakout Signatures honors both NBA rookies looking to breakout and established veterans who’ve already made the leap.
- The die-cut Rock Solid insert with a design as unique as the players in the set.
- All memorabilia sets in Studio Basketball feature rare Prime versions.
We’ll have plenty more on the triumphant return of Studio Basketball in the coming weeks right here on The Knight’s Lance. But until then, enjoy this extended sneak peek:
All information is accurate at the time of posting – content is subject to change and approval. Card images are solely for the purpose of design display. Actual images used on cards to be determined.