As you read this, one of the sports card world's most endearing flagship brands is preparing for another banner season on the diamond -- and when 2016 Donruss Baseball arrives in early March, it will do so with a more-limited hobby version and the coveted staples that have come to define the brand over the last 30-plus years.
As you read this, one of the sports card world’s most endearing flagship brands is preparing for another banner season on the diamond — and when 2016 Donruss Baseball arrives in early March, it will do so with a more-limited hobby version and the coveted staples that have come to define the brand over the last 30-plus years.
For 2016, Panini America officials will look to continue the strong Donruss renaissance that has taken place during the last few seasons with a collector-focused edition that features three autograph or memorabilia cards per hobby box and calling-card insert sets such as Elite Dominators and Elite Series (both of which are hobby-only), The Rookies, Diamond Kings, Power Alley and more.
To be sure, the highlights of 2016 Donruss Baseball are many and include . . .
- A strong lineup of all-new, chase-worthy parallels such as Test Proof, Black Border, Pink Border, Holometric and Holoflow.
- New autograph and memorabilia inserts including Promising Pros Materials, Back to the Future Materials, New Breed Autographs, and Significant Signatures.
- Panini America’s iconic Silhouettes memorabilia design meets arguably the most iconic mascot of all time (The Famous Chicken) for what will undoubtedly be among the most unique memorabilia cards of the year.
- Find on-card autographs in the form of Buybacks from Donruss Baseball’s historic past, including the famous 1982 Donruss Baseball Cal Ripken Jr. Rookie Card.
- Collect all 150 base cards with new parallels, including Printing Plate 1/1s and hobby exclusive Test Proofs numbered to 49 or less.
- The new Back to the Future insert features 25 players and pieces of jerseys they were wore with their former organizations. The checklist includes the likes of Jake Arrieta, Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Beltre and Robinson Cano.
- Last year Panini America highlighted 1981 Donruss. For 2016, we turn the focus to 1982. Find veteran and retired players in striking poses in an insert seeded one per pack. Look for new Holometric and Holoflow parallels.
We’ll have plenty more on the jam-packed 2016 Donruss Baseball in the coming weeks right here on The Knight’s Lance. Until then, enjoy this first extended sneak peek:
All information is accurate at the time of posting – content is subject to change and approval. Card images are solely for the purpose of design display. Actual images used on cards to be determined.