If this was a normal Panini Peek post, I'd spend the first paragraph or so crafting a flowery and adjective-filled -- but well-earned and accurate -- introduction to herald the coming excitement of a new Panini America product. But this is no normal Panini Peek post because 2011-12 Elite Hockey is no normal hockey product.
If this was a normal Panini Peek post, I’d spend the first paragraph or so crafting a flowery and adjective-filled — but well-earned and accurate — introduction to herald the coming excitement of a new Panini America product. But this is no normal Panini Peek post because 2011-12 Elite Hockey is no normal hockey product.
So instead, I’ll quote from the second page of the product’s solicitation packet that began being distributed this week: “The legendary brand returns with a bang, re-imagined for a new generation of hit-hungry collectors!” There, that pretty much sums it up.
For the first time since the 1997-98 season, passionate NHL collectors will have a stand-alone Elite product to call their own, complete with the legendary inclusion of such landmark inserts as Passing the Torch Autographs, Prime Numbers and Elite Series.
2011-12 Elite Hockey is slated for a late-February release and will include one autograph Elite Rookies variation, two memorabilia cards, three Aspirations parallels and two additional Elite Rookies per box. But that’s just the beginning for a product that will benefit immeasurably from the immense technology advancements in the last 12 years.
The short list of additional highlights:
- 80 Elite Rookie Cards, including 20 short prints and 50 on-card signers
- The unique Social Signatures on-card autograph insert that highlights the social-media presence of some of the game’s top stars
- Prime Numbers returns better than ever, with each card augmented by a piece of memorabilia or an on-card autograph and three collectible versions for top stars such as Joe Sakic, Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and many more
- The incomparable Passing the Torch insert features a pair of on-card signatures from greats of the game like Mark Messier, Mario Lemieux and Sakic alongside top stars of today like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Evgeni Malkin and Matt Duchene
- The venerable Elite Series insert honors six hobby legends — Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier and Steve Yzerman — by giving each their own six-card insert series. The special seventh card for each player features an on-card autograph.
- Each case of 2011-12 Elite Hockey should yield 12 Elite Rookies Auto Variations, two Elite Rookies Aspirations Die-Cuts, three cards from each of the Elite Series subjects, three Elite Series Duals, 12New Breed Materials, one Social Signatures, six Elite Signings, 12 Elite Materials, one Prime Numbers Jerseys, 12 Elite Stars and 12 Elite Rookie Stars
Enjoy this exclusive first look at a true hockey legend and stay tuned to The Knight’s Lance for additional updates.
10 Replies to “Panini Peek: 2011-12 Elite Hockey”
You had me at ‘Ovechkin six card insert set’… Looking forward to the return of this product! The samples look great. I really like the simple design of even the commons, no crazy distracting lines… just good photography. Kinda wish you could do retro rookie stars… that Landeskog card looks pretty sweet and would be fun to see some of the rookies from yesteryear in that design.
Elite is a great brand. It always has nice looking base cards and great insert and memorabilia cards and autos. The passing the torch is one of the most known autographs sets out there and the prime numbers look really nice and immediately caught my attention.
The last time I purchased a Hockey product, Clinton was enjoying fine cigars and dodging Lewinsky scandals. That said, the product’s inserts and checklist is enough to lure me back for a box…or 2.
I didn’t think ANYTHING could bring me back to Hockey cards. Thanks very much Panini, now I will be further impoverished!
Passing the Torch Autos! Enough Said!
Any pack information? Packs per box? Cards per pack?
Ooops. Sorry about that. Five cards per pack, 20 packs per box.
Thank you very much Mr. Hackler!