If you grew up in the 1970s or 1980s, you’ll likely take one look at some of the inserts in Panini America’s upcoming 2018-19 Donruss Basketball product and instantly fall in love with them. You’ll probably also be magically transported back to a time when something called “Alf” was must-see TV, big hair was a rock-and-roll requirement and neon typefaces were the go-to style for everything from print ads to album artwork. All of that, of course, is by design and gives Donruss a unique and powerful sense of nostalgia.
“When it came to designing some of the inserts for this year’s Donruss Basketball, we wanted to draw heavy inspiration from the 1980s,” said Panini America Art Director Brad McQueary. “We felt it was only natural to have ’80s-inspired designs in a Donruss program since the brand was started in 1981. Our goal was to design inserts that are fun, colorful and give collectors a sense of nostalgia. Our designers took inspiration from anything and everything ’80s . . . like retro print ads, cassette-tape artwork from our favorite 1980s hair bands, Trapper Keepers and our Alf lunch box.”
The results — as you’ll see below in inserts such as All Heart, All-Stars, Express Lane, Fantasy Stars and Franchise Features — are spectacular. But those fantastic flashback features are but one part of 2018-19 Donruss Basketball’s winning recipe. There’s also a lot of modern goodness to gather, too.
Scheduled to release in early November, 2018-19 Donruss Basketball will arrive with a new Hobby Jumbo configuration (30 cards per pack, 10 packs per box, 10 boxes per case) that delivers, on average, two autographs and 60 inserts or parallels per box. Some of the highlights . . .
- The unique Next Day Autographs features on-card autographs of the 2018-19 rookies in their NBA uniforms.
- Rare Charles Barkley SP cards falling less than one per case, on average.
- Iconic Rated Rookie cards with parallels numbered to as low as one.
- Autographed memorabilia cards from the stars of the 2018-19 NBA rookie class in Rookie Materials Signatures.
- Significant Signatures delivers autographs from some of the game’s greatest players.
- Timeless Treasures Material Signatures combines autographs and memorabilia with a star-studded checklist.
We’ll have plenty more on 2018-19 Donruss Basketball in the coming weeks here on The Knight’s Lance. But for now, enjoy this extended sneak peek:
All information is accurate at the time of posting – content is subject to change and approval. Card images are solely for the purpose of design display. Actual images used on cards to be determined.