It didn't take long for Panini America's unique Black Gold Football franchise to resonate in a meaningful way with collectors. From the moment that product was first teased on Christmas Eve of 2014, Black Gold has been captivating fans with its unique mix of dark aesthetics, acetate stock and a Sizeable Signatures insert that annually delivers some of the single coolest cards in the football universe.
It didn’t take long for Panini America’s unique Black Gold Football franchise to resonate in a meaningful way with collectors. From the moment that product was first teased on Christmas Eve of 2014, Black Gold has been captivating fans with its unique mix of dark aesthetics, acetate stock and a Sizeable Signatures insert that annually delivers some of the single coolest cards in the football universe.
That blueprint was well intact when 2014 Black Gold Football launched. It was there again in 2015. And in late January, it will be riding shotgun one more time 2016 Black Gold Football arrives in hobby shops across North America with an emphasis on additional autograph and memorabilia content and fewer metal pieces. In fact, 2016 Black Gold Football will deliver roughly 25,000 fewer metal pieces than the 2015 edition. The tradeoff? Roughly 23,000 more autograph and memorabilia cards.
On average, each box of 2016 Black Gold Football (five cards per pack, two packs per box, eight boxes per case) will deliver two shadowbox base cards, two shadowbox inserts, four autograph or memorabilia cards, and two additional autograph, memorabilia or metal-piece cards.
Other highlights of the product are many and include . . .
- The triumphant return of Jim Brown autographs to the Panini America lineup.
- The new Hall of Fame Symbols metal-piece insert showcasing the most collectible legends in the game.
- The new Gold Records Autographs set featuring autographs of current veteran players and Hall of Famers who have established prestigious NFL records.
- Other exciting new inserts include Gold Nuggets, Gold Rush, Golden Hands and the rare Reverse Gold parallel.
- Metallic Marks signature cards featuring autographs on both black and gold metal pieces. Look for rare White Gold and Black Gold parallels.
- On-card autographs from the best of the 2016 NFL Rookie Class in Sizeable Signatures and Grand Debut AUtographs jersey sets, including NFL Shield 1/1 variations.
- The popular acetate base set is back with 48 veterans and 33 legends, including unique 1/1 Printing Plates.
- Look for oversized memorabilia swatches with Tag and NFL Shield 1/1 versions in the Massive Materials set.
We’ll have plenty more to preview on 2016 Black Gold Football in the coming weeks right here on The Knight’s Lance. But until then, check out this extended sneak peek:
All information is accurate at the time of posting – content is subject to change and approval. Card images are solely for the purpose of design display. Actual images used on cards to be determined.
4 Replies to “Panini America Delivers Detailed First Look at 2016 Black Gold Football (Gallery)”
Get rid of team symbols, they aren’t worth anything.
That Emmitt card is awesome. Actually, all of them are. This year’s version really stands out to me more than any previous year. I’m going to have to save up, so I can buy a box.
Great to hear that those horrendous metal pieces won’t be making much of a return, though it’s a shame that the design of B-G is the same year after year. Different rookies make it different tho, I guess.
I’ve become a big fan of Black Gold, that quad Colts card will be a must-have when the new edition of BG is released. Thanks Tracy!